This session is for children aged 1-4, but do keep it really short and simple for under 2’s.
Make sure you read the full session before you start, and check out these practical tips to get the most out of your time together.
We pray you’ll have a wonderful, fun time with your little ones!
The Gifts of the Holy Spirit
Today’s aim: To know that Holy Spirit has gifts for us!
Make it special: Why not do something to start off your time together like jump up and down or spin around saying ‘We love you Jesus. Thank you Daddy God for your love for us!’
WORSHIP (5-8 MINS)
Holy Spirit is here with us right now – let’s celebrate being with him!
You could use these songs or any of your own favourites
Hit play to hear the songs in the playlist!
If you click on the ‘cc’ button (where available) you can see the subtitles to help with the lyrics – this is not always accurate but can help!
INTRO: (7 MIN)
Here’s Sarah with an introduction and story!
GIFTS OF HEALING STORY:
Watch the story below or:
- Read it in the Candle Bible for Toddlers p365
- Or retell it from Acts 3:1-10. You could use some soft toys to help act it out!
You can say this first: WHO GIVES US GIFTS?
Help your child to respond: HOLY SPIRIT!
Keep using it with different voices: high, low, squeaky, robot…
FUN ACTIVITIES: (5-10 MINS)
WATCH: a song about Holy Spirit:
GAME: 3-5 mins
Prep: A bit of prep required before hand: if you have an old shoe box or any box with a lid, print out the gifts of the Spirit sheet, cut up and pop them in. Have a favourite snack to share hidden nearby for afterwards. Gifts of Spirit pdf here.
Play: Put on some music and pass the box around. Stop the music and open the box and pull out one of the gifts of the Spirit, close lid and pass around again until they’re all collected (try to sneak the snack in the box for the last go!) then share the snack together as you chat simply about these gifts.
Keep it fun and get more out each time or use less to begin with if attention span is waning.
- faith: to believe God for amazing things
- healing: sick people getting better with God’s power
- miracles: amazing, impossible things happening
- prophecy: a love message from God
- word of knowledge: knowing what God thinks
- word of wisdom: knowing the right thing to do or say
- tongues: special prayer language
Your child doesn’t need to completely understand what all the gifts mean but they can begin to grasp that Holy Spirit gives us good gifts to help others.
Craft: Cut out the gifts and dove from the pdf and decorate, or use the ones from the game.
If you have a paper plate stick the dove in the middle and stick the gifts around the edge.
Or if you have ribbon or string, use tape to attach the ribbon/string from the bottom of the dove to different gifts so they dangle down.
You could talk simply about how Holy Spirit wants to give us good gifts to help others. (5-8 mins)
COLOURING: gifts of the Spirit
CRAFT: Lame Man’s Legs Cut out the lame man from the template. Use the rest of the paper to cut two strips for his legs, fold them back and forth to create a concertina then stick onto the bottom of the body to make two legs that walk and leap and praise God!
Peter and John used Holy Spirit’s gifts of healing to help the man. (5 mins)
Resources: pdf template of activities, scissors, pens, glue, paper plate if you have one, sellotape, ribbon or string
PRAYER TIME IDEAS
- SHOUT OUT: WHO GIVES US GIFTS? HOLY SPIRIT!
- The bible says we can ask the Holy Spirit for these gifts and he really wants to give them to us! Let’s ask for a gift from Holy Spirit. We can open our hands, ask Holy Spirit, wait and receive… ‘Holy Spirit, thank you for your gifts. I would like to receive healing or miracles or a love message for someone…’ Believe he has given us good gifts and say thank you! Look out for simple ways to use your gifts like praying for people or sending simple messages to others…
- If you have any stories of receiving gifts from Holy Spirit yourself, do share your experiences with your child. This will hugely encourage them and help them see Holy Spirit is for everyone, that God is real and answers us when we ask him for things!
How did you get on? What did you make? What did you sing? Send in your good news and photos to us, or drop an email to email@example.com.