PARENTS! Remember to check out our top tips for making this work!
Welcome to our new series, OLD TESTAMENT HEROES!
Our aim today is to know that God says I am a hero and that I can live my life to help others!
We want to see your faces! Send us a video of your favourite superhero joke to email@example.com. Bonus points for wearing a superhero costume!
MARK THE MOMENT
Do something to start your time together such as light a candle, pass around something special and shout: ‘We are Game Changers!’ and thank Jesus for his love for you!
WORSHIP (8-10 MINS)
Invite Holy Spirit to be with you, jump around, have fun, let your kids teach you the actions!
EXPLORE THE STORY OF NAOMI & RUTH
Watch the story below or read it together!
Find in a children’s bible such as
Lion First Bible (p164) or Jesus Calling Bible *p88)
Or read sections of the book of Ruth with older children:
- Naomi showed deep love & care for others even though she was very sad: Ruth 1:8-9, 16
- She looked out for Ruth, helping her find a new home & husband: Ruth 2:19-20, 3:1-2
- Because she put others first Naomi gained much: a new family, a grandson, a legacy (she was the great great grandmother of King David!) Ruth 4:9-10, 14-17.
LET’S CHAT ABOUT HEROES
Chat with your younger child:
- Show me a superhero pose! Who are your heroes? Why was Naomi a hero? Do you want to be a hero? Tell your child about your heroes, why you admire them, how they’ve encouraged or inspired you.
Help your older child to consider how the way we choose to live affects those who come after us.
- Naomi is a hero because her life helped and benefited many who came after her.
- Even though she went through a lot: sadness, loss and loneliness, she lived understanding who God is and chose to believe and trust in his goodness.
- Those who came after her were blessed such as Ruth and Boaz, King David was her great great grandson, the people who lived when David was King, Jesus was from David’s family many years later!
- Challenge your older child to think about how we can live to help and bless those who will come after us. How can we be heroes for God? You could give an example of who your heroes are too.
Begin your own TIMELINE OF WONDER: Each week there’ll be a picture of the hero or you can create your own. Either stick them up on your wall, or find some string to peg them onto. You can add on the hero each week in time order to make your very own timeline. This week there are a few pictures to get you started, including Naomi!
Un-muddle it! Print out and cut up some of the pictures of Naomi’s life from the pdf template. Choose some to hide around the room to find and then put in the correct order of when they happened. Chat about any ‘heroic’ tendencies Naomi and Ruth show us.
Make a comic strip of the story or of a hero you know using the pdf template, which events from their life does your child think are important for us to know now? Make the pictures cartoon-like or funny…
Make medals or trophies: Decorate the circles of card or trophies from the pdf templates. Thread ribbon or string through the circles to make it into a medal. Stick or write on ‘I am a hero!’ and other truths about yourself.
Resources: Pdf templates, scissors, ribbon, string, pens, stickers
- Have a medal ceremony: present each person with their medal or trophy and speak truths over each other such as ‘You are a hero for God’, ‘God sees you as a hero’, ‘Your life make a big difference’, ‘God has amazing plans for your life,’ ‘You are special,’ ‘You are important,’ ‘You are significant, You are a leader.’ Encourage any siblings to do this over each other too!
- Thank God for your heroes and how they have inspired or impacted your life. Pray for them and pray that we can live as heroes too, helping and blessing others. You could get specific about the ways you’d like to do this: to release healing to others… to have great ideas that create new things… to help others feel safe… to see God’s love flow out of me… to spread joy through laughter… and more!
- Grab a Prayer Pebble and use it to pray for the NHS heroes who are giving their time, skills and energy to help so many people. The way they are living their lives is blessing many many people!
TODAY’S GAME CHANGING MOMENT
I am a hero to God and I can live my life to help others!
Your fun times with us! Show us your medals or trophies. Who are your heroes? What did you pray about today? And more…
Or feel free to email us another time via firstname.lastname@example.org.