PARENTS! Remember to check out our top tips for making this work!
Let’s find out more about those Old Testament Heroes!
Our aim today is to learn that God’s way is the BEST way!
First things first, here’s a game of Pie or No Pie with the Cornthwaites! Can you persuade your parents to play this at home?!
…and before you go any further, we’re back in Pecky’s World!
MARK THE MOMENT
Start off your time together in a special way; can you say 2 or 3 things you’re thankful for super quickly as you pass something special between you? How long can you keep passing it round before you run out of things to say?
WORSHIP (8 MINS)
Remember Father God sees us as heroes; we are important to him! Have fun jumping and dancing together!
INTRO (13 MINS)
EXPLORE GIDEON’S STORY MORE (5 MINS)
Watch the story below or read it together!
You could read it in a children’s Bible, for example:
- Lion First Bible p148
- Jesus Calling Bible p82
Or check it out these parts of the Bible: Gideon defeats the Midianites
UNPACK: God’s Way Is The Best Way (2-5 mins)
Can you think of any seemingly unusual things God did in the Bible and how they worked out for the best?
With your younger child: Can you find some in a story bible or in this great video from Rend Co. Kids: King of me.
Challenge your older child to think of two or three to share.
Here’s some to get you thinking…
- God’s friend, Noah, built an enormously massive boat miles and miles away from any oceans…
- A young boy, David, went to defeat a scary giant with a handful of small pebbles…
- The glorious son of God, Jesus, came as a tiny baby, born next to some smelly animals…
- Or you could chat about the ways God has worked things out in your own lives, the battles he has won and how you have learnt to trust in him as you do some of the activities below.
Game: Reduce your army super quickly like Gideon’s!
Use a collection of objects like marbles, soft toys, balls to be your ‘army’.
Split into two teams or play against your child. Give each ‘team’ the same number of objects and stand next to them. The aim is to get them to the other end of the room/garden or to a bucket/container as quickly as possible.
Choose your rules: whether to run, hop, jump or tiptoe and how many you can carry at once! Ready, steady go!
Continue your own TIMELINE OF WONDER: Here’s Gideon to add to your timeline! Where does he go? Have you added anything else on too? We’d love to see a photo of your timeline so far!
Gideon crafts: Choose an arrow or torch from the templates or make your own torch by rolling up card or using kitchen/toilet roll middles.
Decorate with ‘God’s way is the best way’ or draw/write on some of the things that will help us trust him or that we can do to follow his way: such as ask for the superpower of love, listen to Jesus, know him well, read the bible, pray, get filled with the Holy Spirit, use our gifts, spend time with Jesus’ friends and more!
Bless someone: Who could you encourage? Why not make them a card or message to let them know you’re praying for them and that God has a way forward for them. You could choose a favourite verse to find in your bible and write out for them and decorate. Here are a couple suggestions: Philippians 1:6, 1 John 4:16, Romans 8:28.
Resources: collection of objects, pdf templates, scissors, pens, stickers, glue, paper and card, bible
Prayer Ideas: (5-10 mins)
- Let’s put our trust in God: You could all hold hands and say some declarations together to reinforce what you’ve discovered today: such as ‘God’s way is the best way!’ ‘He is with us!’ ‘We can trust in God’s goodness’. ‘God will win!’ Or say these verses together: 1 Samuel 17:47 ’The battle belongs to the Lord’. Proverbs 21:31 ‘It is the Lord who gives victory’
- The battle belongs to the Lord: What battles are you facing as a family? Put out your hands and invite Holy Spirit to come and be with you and show you how good he is, that he is with you and has a way forward. Be expectant and open to what he is showing you: what you can hear, see or sense and then share with each other. Keep it light and fun and encourage your child in their friendship with God.
TODAY’S GAME CHANGING MOMENT
I can trust that God’s way is the best way for me and my family!
Your experiences with us! What crazy God ideas did you discover? How has God’s way worked out for you? Who won the game? And more…
Or feel free to email us another time via firstname.lastname@example.org.