PARENTS! Remember to check out our top tips for making this work!
Let’s go back in time to find out more about those Old Testament Heroes!
Our aim today is to learn that heroes listen carefully to God and follow him!
Before we get started, we’re back in Pecky’s World again!
MARK THE MOMENT
Start off your time together in a special way: Can you say two encouraging things to someone else in your family? Or choose someone to pray for everyone to have a great time!
WORSHIP (8 MINS)
Remember Father God says we are heroes; He has amazing things to show us! Have fun praising him together!
INTRO (14 MINS)
EXPLORE SAMUEL’S STORY MORE (5 MINS)
Watch the story below or read it together!
- Find in a children’s bible:
- Lion First Bible p172
- Jesus Calling Bible p94
- Or check it out in the Bible: 1 Samuel 3
UNPACK: Heroes listen to God (2-5 mins)
- You could remind your child how we often chat in Game Changers about the different ways Father, Son and Spirit speak to us. Can they remember any of them? Such as videos in our heads, thoughts, feelings, colours, bible bits, pictures, memories and more.
- Samuel heard God calling his name! It could be the same or different for us. Samuel chose to listen to God, and was brave to speak it out.
- As God’s heroes we can choose to value God’s voice and listen to him. He has important things to show us for ourselves, our families, our friends, our church, our city…
- Share with each other how you best hear God’s voice and what helps you listen to him.
Fun Activities (5-15 mins)
Listening Game: Find a few things that make a noise and hide them in a bag, such as rice in a pot, instruments, toys, keys. Take it in turns to put your hand in the bag to shake them to guess what they are by their sound. Can your child find things for you to guess what they are too?
Continue your own TIMELINE OF WONDER: Here’s Samuel to add to your timeline! Where does he go? Have you added anything else on too? We’d love to see a photo of your timeline so far!
Listening crafts: Use the ears or headphones template: cut out and decorate with ways that God speaks to us or things he’s shown you. Stick the ears/phones on either side of a strip of paper. Or you could challenge your older children to design their own cool ear phones!
Dream clouds: If we keep on listening to God and growing with him think how much more of him and his plans we’ll know when we’re in the next Game Changers group or in Youth, or at Secondary School, or our parent’s age!
Think about your hopes and dreams – what would you like to know, see, hear, learn as you grow as a Game Changer and hero?
Draw or write these things on the cloud shaped templates or draw your own, cut out, make holes to loop ribbon/string through to make bunting or mobiles.
Resources: bag, objects that make sounds, pdf templates, scissors, pens, stickers, glue, paper and card, ribbon/string
Prayer Ideas: (5-10 mins)
- Thank you’s: Samuel needed to learn what God’s voice was like. Eli, who had already heard God’s voice, encouraged him to hear for himself. Who encourages us to hear and know God? Shout out ‘thank you’ to God for those people who have helped us, as Eli helped Sam.
- I can listen to Jesus Adventure Time: Get comfy and invite Holy Spirit to be with you. Choose a specific question to ask Jesus and spend time with him. Keep it fun and remind your child of the different ways God speaks. Share what popped into your head and don’t forget to write or draw about it afterwards.
- Here are some question suggestions to ask Jesus:
- What do you like about me?
- Who in the bible am I like?
- What game would you like to play with me?
- If my heart is your home what does it look like?
- What are your dreams for me?
- Where is your favourite place with me Jesus?
TODAY’S GAME CHANGING MOMENT
I am a hero and I can learn to listen to God and follow him!
Your experiences with us! Show us your listening ears or dream mobiles. What was God showing you today? And more…
Or feel free to email us another time via email@example.com.