PARENTS! Remember to check out our top tips for making this work!
Let’s go back in time to find out more about those Old Testament Heroes!
Our aim today is to learn that heroes put God first and trust in his power and strength!
Before we get started, we’re back in Pecky’s World again!
MARK THE MOMENT
Start off your time together in a special way: Can you all jump up together shouting ‘We are God’s heroes! We are chosen… we are important… God is with us!’
WORSHIP (8 MINS)
Celebrate God being with you and his never ending superpower of love for you!
INTRO (11 MINS)
EXPLORE MORE ABOUT SHADRACH & FRIENDS (5 MINS)
You can read some more about them here:
- Find in a children’s bible:
- Jesus Calling Bible p122-127
- The Story Traveller’s Bible p158
- Or check it out in the bible: Daniel 3
UNPACK (2-5 mins)
- Even though they were threatened with losing their lives in the fiery furnace Shadrach and Co trusted God and put him first. He was their number one!
- The result of these heroes’ incredible faith and trust was that God’s amazing power was shown and a whole new nation of people got to know about him. Plus they had God right there with them in the fiery furnace – what an awesome experience!
- Chat about ways we can put God first and make him Number 1 in our lives? Some ideas…
- We can believe God’s truth – about who he is and who we are
- We can practice using our spiritual gifts
- We can speak out for God
- We can listen to Mum and Dad
- We can love and help our siblings
- We can forgive others
- We can pray, share, care, be generous
- We can take a break when we get angry
- We can trust in God rather than in our feelings
- What might be the outcome when we put God first and trust in his power? For example: our faith gets stronger, friends get to hear about Jesus and could get saved, people could get healed and helped, problems could get solved…
Fun Activities (5-15 mins)
Act it out: Use the story on the pdf attachment with its silly actions or make up your own!
- Fiery Furnace: put on a favourite song, have someone deciding how everyone should move around: dance, hop, wiggle, tiptoe.. until they shout ‘Fiery Furnace’ and everyone has to freeze and not move! Swap over!
- Tongue Twisters: Who can say ‘Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego’ the most times or the fastest without getting muddled?
Create: A large number 1 using the pdf templates or create your own: could you make it 3D? Decorate and write on ways to put God first in your life.
Continue your own TIMELINE OF WONDER: Here’re Shadrach and Co to add to your timeline! Where do they go? We’d love to see a photo of your timeline so far!
Resources: PDF templates, scissors, pens, stickers, glue, paper and card
Prayer Ideas: (5-10 mins)
- Put God first: Use your card number 1 to help you pray. Hold it up and ask God for courage and strength to put him first. Be aware of opportunities for your older child to open up about when they find this difficult and listen to God for each other as you pray.
- Pray for Christians around the world where it’s dangerous to be friends with Jesus: China, Iraq, Iran, other Middle Eastern countries and any that you know about or where you support someone. If you have LED candles you could place them on a map of that place as you pray for courage, strength and peace for these friends of Jesus who are putting him first each day.
- Prayer pebbles: choose a pebble to help you pray. Pass around your family to encourage confidence in chatting to God.
TODAY’S GAME CHANGING MOMENT
I am a hero who can put God first.
He is my number 1!
How do you put God first? Show us your ‘number 1’s’. What nation did you pray about or which prayer pebble did you use? And more…
Or feel free to email us another time via email@example.com.