PARENTS! Remember to check out our top tips for making this work!
Let’s go back in time to find out more about those Old Testament Heroes!
Our aim today is to learn that heroes keep going and don’t give up because God is with us!
Before we get started, we’re back in Pecky’s World again!
MARK THE MOMENT
It’s Father’s Day today! You could start off your time together by giving your dad a big hug and telling him two things to encourage him or be thankful for someone else in your life who cares for you, like a grandpa or uncle.
WORSHIP (8 MINS)
Let’s be thankful for our amazing Daddy God in heaven who always loves us!
INTRO (11 MINS)
EXPLORE MORE ABOUT NEHEMIAH (5 MINS)
You can read some more about them here:
- Find in a children’s bible:
- Jesus Calling Bible p136
- Story Travellers Bible p171
- Or check out his story in the bible: Nehemiah and Jerusalem’s wall
UNPACK (2-5 mins)
- Nehemiah did not give up, even when faced with a huge task and lots of problems and opposition: he was teased, mocked, criticised, lied about, and threatened! He and his team managed to complete the wall in 52 days!
- WOW! How did he keep going? What do you think?
- Some thoughts: He was honest about his feelings and then he prayed. He knew God was bigger than the problem. He knew he’d been chosen by God. He got help and found solutions to problems. He prayed for strength and put his focus on God not on the threats and lies coming his way…
- What do we do when we face a problem or difficulty? Give some scenarios that relate to your child’s and your life and be honest about ways we may respond to it.
- Sometimes we may moan or complain, or we may feel defeated and afraid, or even angry.
- BUT we can also be honest about our feelings, ask for help, pray, remember how big God is, spend time with Jesus, read the bible, encourage someone else, take a break, have another go…
- What helps you to overcome and not give up when problems come your way?
Fun Activities (5-15 mins)
Use any of the pdf templates!
Be ready: Make an I WILL NOT GIVE UP plan of action! Come up with two or three ideas on what to do when you feel like giving up. Create a mini poster, door hanger or note for the fridge to remind you of your plan!
Or make an acrostic for the letters DO NOT GIVE UP or I AM A HERO to encourage yourself or someone else. Acrostic = Use each first letter of the words in your chosen phrase as the start of an encouraging sentence.
Do have another go
Open up to God
Never give up
One more try
Tell someone you need help
Or use the brick wall template to colour in, decorate, write on what God thinks of you or what you think of God…
Building Fun: Use lego or bricks to create strong walls together. You could put holes in the wall for your child to fix or play out the story with a younger child.
Challenge your older child to get messy and use marshmallows and pasta/spaghetti to make towers.. Or can they use a single sheet of paper, sellotape and scissors to construct something strong? You could have competitions or team work and test for appearance, durability, strength and more!
Continue your own TIMELINE OF WONDER: Here’s Nehemiah to add to your timeline! Where does he go? Have you added anything else on too? We’d love to see a photo of your timeline so far!
Create something to encourage your Dad or someone else close to you; like a piece of art, handprint, poem, rap, or simply a cup of tea and some chocolate!
Prayer Ideas: (5-10 mins)
- Prayer pebbles: Choose one of your pebbles to be a NEVER GIVE UP! pebble. Does anyone feel like giving up about something? Let them hold the pebble whilst everyone else prays for them: ask God for strength, peace and solutions. Remember to share anything you feel Holy Spirit is showing you.
- Testimonies: Share any times you’ve had victory over problems with each other. Celebrate and thank God for these times. Do you know anyone in another family you could encourage with your stories and offer to pray for?
- Be the answer: We believe that Jesus has answers and a way forward for the problems we see in the world around us. He wants to team up with us to be part of the solution because we are his heroes! You could spend time chatting about problems your children can see in the world, then listen to God’s answers/thoughts (often what pops into our heads first). Then pray and speak out these things: Be creative and be bold to do what the Holy Spirit shows you!
TODAY’S GAME CHANGING MOMENT
I am a hero who doesn’t give up because God is with me!
Share your brick walls and constructions with us. What testimonies of victories do you have?
Or feel free to email us another time via firstname.lastname@example.org.