This session is for children aged 1-4, but do keep it really short and simple for under 2’s.
Make sure you read the full session before you start, and check out these practical tips to get the most out of your time together.
We pray you’ll have a wonderful, fun time with your little ones!
Fancy a visit to Pecky’s World? Find all the videos here!
Let’s find out more about God’s Promises!
Today’s aim is to learn that God promises to love us and help us all the time!
Make it special: Why not start your time off by saying some of God’s promises together: Jesus is always with me! Daddy God will always love me! Holy Spirit will never forget me!
WORSHIP (5-6 MINS)
Let’s celebrate the promise giver!
You could use these songs or any of your own favourites
INTRO (8 MIN)
Here’s Sarah with an introduction and story about Jonah!
EXPLORE THE STORY TOGETHER (3-4 MINS)
Watch the story below or read from a toddler bible:
- Candle Bible for Toddlers p206
- The Toddlers Bible p214 (very short)
- Lion First Bible p264 (longer version)
UNPACK THE STORY (2 MINS)
- Jonah said NO! to God and ran away. But God still loved Jonah and the people in Nineveh.
- God gave Jonah another chance to be part of his plan to help others.
- Jonah learnt to team up with God and saw a whole city changed by God’s love and kindness!
- God loves us all the time too, even when we get things wrong or make mistakes.
- He is kind to us and forgives us and helps us!
SHOUT OUT (2 MINS)
Say this to your child: WHO KEEPS HIS PROMISES?
Help your child to answer: GOD DOES!
Keep saying it with different voices; robot, squeaky mice, silly monster…
FUN ACTIVITIES (5-10 MINS)
Song: ‘Jonah and the Big Fish’ sing to the tune of “I hear thunder”
Where is Jonah, where is Jonah? In a boat, in a boat.
What is Jonah doing? What is Jonah doing? Running from God, running from God.
Where is Jonah, where is Jonah? In a fish, in a fish.
What is Jonah doing, what is Jonah doing? Praying to God, praying to God.
Where is Jonah, where is Jonah? On a hill, on a hill
What is Jonah doing, what is Jonah doing? Learning to love, learning to love.
Where is Jonah, Where is Jonah? Nineveh, Nineveh.
What is Jonah doing, what is Jonah doing? Sharing God’s love, sharing God’s love.
Explore: play the story together using water, fish and boat toys or when it’s bath time! I wonder how Jonah felt in the water… I wonder what it was like in the big fish… I wonder how Jonah got out of the fish…
Create: Jonah craft using the pdf template. Cut out the large fish and small Jonah figure. Decorate both sides of the fish with pens, stickers or by sticking on small pieces of paper and then stick on the small Jonah figure. You could make a hole in the top and thread ribbon through to hang up in a window so it spins around.
Colouring sheets of Jonah
Resources: pdf template of activities, scissors, colouring pens, tape, paper, pens, glue, ribbon/string.
PRAYER TIME IDEAS (5 MINS)
SHOUT OUT: WHO KEEPS HIS PROMISES? GOD DOES!
- Thank God that he is kind to us and always loves us, no matter what.
- Help your child to say sorry to God or others for anything they need to. Pray for them to know God loves them and forgives them.
- Speak simple truths from today’s session over them as you enjoy a snuggle or wrestle or maybe pass a fish toy back and forth: God is kind… Daddy God loves you all the time… We can say sorry when we need to… Jesus is with us… We can have another go if we get things wrong…
We’d love to hear from you!
Show us your fish crafts or dancing moves to your favourite song! What good news do you have as a family?
Send in your good news and photos to firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the form right here!