PARENTS! Remember to check out our top tips for making this work!
Let’s go back in time to find out more about those Old Testament Heroes!
Our aim today is to learn that God loves to give his heroes a second chance.
MARK THE MOMENT
Start off your time together in a special way: See how many of the Old Testament Heroes you can remember. Either go round your family saying one each, no repetitions or hesitations allowed, or say them as quickly as possible without getting muddled. Use your timeline to help!
WORSHIP (8 MINS)
Welcome Jesus to be with you as you celebrate being his heroes!
INTRO (8 MINS)
EXPLORE MORE ABOUT JONAH (5 MINS)
You can read some more about them here:
- Find in a children’s bible:
- The Lion First bible p264
- Jesus Calling Bible p114
- Jesus Storybook bible p160
- Or check it out in the bible: Jonah’s Story
UNPACK (2-5 mins)
- Even though Jonah ran away from God and even though the people of Nineveh (God’s people’s enemies!) were doing awful things, God still loved them and gave them a second chance!
- God is still the same today: he loves to gives us a second chance, no matter what mistakes we’ve made, he forgives us and helps us so we can try again! WOW! This is such good news.
Fun Activities (5-15 mins)
Game: Play hide and seek. Jonah thought he could hide from God – oops! Even when we are hiding, God can still see us and find us because he loves us so much. When you find someone you could say: ‘God sees you and loves you!’ Who is good at hiding in your family? What’s your best hiding place?
Play: use any sea life puppets, toys, boats and little people you may have to play the story of Jonah.
Peg whale craft: Use the pdf templates to decorate Jonah and the fish first, then cut out all the pieces. Stick the Jonah figure on the inside of the bottom lip of the whale, and then use sellotape to attach the peg to each part of the whale so it opens its mouth when the peg is squeezed, and Jonah can be seen. The sellotape part is a bit fiddly: try inserting the tape while the peg is open, position the fish and wrap the tape around it, repeat for other half of fish. See example on the pdf.
Fish tissue paper outline: choose a fish outline from the pdf attachment and print out on card, then cut out the fish so you have a fish-shaped gap! Stick strips of sellotape across the gap and fill up with tissue paper or any coloured paper you may have and then add on Jonah. See example on the pdf.
Continue your own TIMELINE OF WONDER: Here’s Jonah to add to your timeline! Where does he go? Have you added anything else on too? We’d love to see a photo of your timeline so far!
Resources: Pdf templates, scissors, pens, glue, paper and card, sellotape, pegs
Prayer Ideas: (5-10 mins)
- God always give us a second chance! Be honest and share what happens when we make mistakes? Do we get stuck feeling guilty and condemned or do we listen to the lies of the enemy? Or can we remember that God is kind; he forgives us and wants us to know his love and power to try again? Help your child to think about this and pray for them to really know God’s forgiveness for any mistakes they’ve made and his power to have another go! Listen in to Holy Spirit and share what he’s showing you as you pray together. You may need to speak God’s forgiveness over each other.
- Adventure Time: Let’s use our imaginations to meet with Jesus! Get comfy and invite Holy Spirit to be with you. Imagine you’re going swimming with Jonah and Jesus. Dive down into the sea with them. What do you see… or hear… or sense? What does Jesus want you to know about Jonah’s story? …What is he showing you about his heart for you and others? …Spend time with him and then share your Adventure Times with each other. Don’t forget to write or draw about them!
- Prayer pebbles: Which prayer pebble will you choose to help you pray? Is there anyone you need to forgive and give a second chance to? Is there anyone Jesus is showing you who you could pray for?Encourage each other to pray with confidence knowing that God hears our prayers!
TODAY’S GAME CHANGING MOMENT
God loves to give me a second chance.
He is kind to me and forgives me.
How did your crafts turn out? Who did you pray for or what happened in your Adventure Time? We’d love to hear how you got on…
Or feel free to email us another time via firstname.lastname@example.org.