PARENTS! Remember to check out our top tips for making this work!
Before we get into today’s session, here’s a quick video that needs you to decide… is it CUTE or CRAZY?!
Today is the last in our Old Testament Heroes! We are going to celebrate what we have learnt and have a hero party!
MARK THE MOMENT
Start off your time together in a special way: Put on a hero costume, find a mask, wear a crown or dress up as your favourite Old Testament Hero! Why not shout out together as a family: ‘We are heroes to God! We are important to him and his kingdom! Our lives make a difference!’
INTRO (12 MINS)
UNPACK (2-5 mins)
- Check out your own TIMELINE OF WONDER!
- Chat about your favourite heroes and why you admire them
- Re-read one of their stories in a story book bible
- Think about how their life impacts your own life and what one thing you can learn from them
- Or check out Joshua 1:9. How can this verse help you as God’s hero?
FUN ACTIVITIES (5-15 mins)
Worship Party Have a worship time where you celebrate being God’s hero and part of his wonderful plan for the world!
Game: Frozen Heroes: Play a musical statue game: take it in turns to shout out different heroes for each other to freeze to in that pose when the music stops or when someone shouts FREEZE!
Decide on poses for the heroes we have done:
Naomi, Ruth, Jacob, Joshua, Gideon, Samuel, Isaiah, Shadrach & Co, Nehemiah, Jonah, Esther
Have extra ones for favourite superheroes such as Spiderman, Disney Princesses, Captain America, Wonder Woman, Batman, Iron Man…
Play: Hero Card Games.
Print out a few sets of the hero cards from the pdf template and cut them up. Then choose a game to play or make up your own. You could hide them around your house for younger children to find.
- Pairs – Using 2 or 4 sets of the cards, turn all the card upside down and spread them out, take it in turns to turn two over at a time. When you get a matching pair you can keep them and have another go. If they don’t match try to remember where they are for your next go!
- Snap – Using 2 or more sets, share out the cards between players, hold them upside down, take it in turns to put one down on a pile hero side up, shout out ‘snap!’ when there are two the same and keep all the cards in the pile. Keep going until someone ends up with all the cards!
- Top Trumps – Add skills to your heroes on the back of the card. Choose three or four such as: courage, friendship, obedience, strength, kindness, perseverance… Give them a score out of 10. Share the cards out then challenge each other to see who has the highest score. Keep all the cards if you have the highest score!
- Make your own mini superhero using the templates.
- Either use the oval shape as a head and the triangle shape as a cape to add to a straw or craft stick using tape. Choose one of the other shapes to be a logo and stick on the front. Decorate faces, stick on wool or string for hair, draw on a mask or helmet… (see ideas)
- Or choose a figure to add the triangle to as a cape and a shape for a logo. Have fun creating your own hero or recreating your favourite superhero.
Resources: Pdf templates, scissors, pens, glue, paper and card, craft sticks or straws, tape
Prayer Ideas: (5-10 mins)
- Adventure Time: Get comfy and ask Jesus to show you how he sees you as his hero! What does he show you? What does he say? What do you see, hear, sense? Give time to be with him and share what you were thinking about. Draw or write about it in your Adventure Book.
- Declare together: ‘I am a hero to God. I can live my life to have a massive impact on others for him! My life will change the world!’ Why not come up with your own declarations about your favourite hero and how they have inspired you.
- Prayer pebbles: Challenge each person in your family to choose a pebble that is important to them and pray together. Encourage confidence to pray and celebrate all progress your child makes in this area. Their prayers are super powerful!
TODAY’S GAME CHANGING MOMENT
I am a hero and important to God. I can live my life to make a difference in this world!
Get ready for our new theme called Fact or Fantasy!
We’ll be daring detectives and super sleuths hunting for clues, facts and proofs in the ultimate quest for the Truth about God!
SHARE WITH US!
Share your superhero figures with us. Who won the games the most times? Who is your favourite Old Testament Hero and why? We’d love to hear from you!
Or feel free to email us another time via email@example.com.