PARENTS! Remember to check out our top tips for making this work!
Don’t forget our Parents Get-Together tonight on Zoom! Sign up on ChurchSuite to get the link and join in!
Today is the start of our new theme: Fact or Fantasy!
We’re going to be Daring Detectives and Super Sleuths hunting for clues, facts and proofs in the ultimate quest for the Truth about God!
Have you got your binoculars and magnifying glasses at the ready??
MARK THE MOMENT
Start off your time together in a special way by making some declarations as a family such as ‘We are going to discover the truth about God’ ‘Jesus will help us follow him’ ‘We can put our faith in action!’…
WORSHIP (8 MINS)
Thank Father God that he is always with us and celebrate his love for you
INTRO (8 MINS)
Explore the Story of the Centurion’s Servant (5 MINS)
Watch the video below OR
- read about it in the Lion First Bible p346
- check out these key verses in the bible: Luke 7:2-9
UNPACK (2-5 mins)
- The Roman Centurion knew what he believed about Jesus:
- He believed that he was good, that he could heal, that nothing was too difficult for him
- He acted on these beliefs and incredible things happened – his servant was healed without Jesus even visiting him PLUS Jesus was amazed at his faith in action!
- Do you know what you believe about God?
- How could we act on our belief in Jesus? How could it show up in the way we think, talk and act? You could share times that you have put your faith in action with your child.
- Have you chosen Jesus as your forever friend?
- Chat about what this means: we believe that Jesus is God and that he died and rose again for us, we can thank him and say we choose him to be our friend and we can be filled with Holy Spirit! We are then part of God’s family and can live with his help to love and follow him each day.
- Check in on your child’s friendship with Jesus and whether they want to say YES to him today!
Fun Activities (5-15 mins)
Introducing the Fact or Fantasy Quest For Truth! Print it out double sided and stick up to discover a clue or proof to add on each week!
This week can you cut out the correct piece from the template? Decorate both sides and add on two things you believe about Jesus and one question you have. Help your younger child to think of one thing they believe about Jesus.
Tape the piece along one edge to match it onto the same shape so you can lift it up or open it like a flap/door.
For older children: ask each other simple questions but you cannot answer YES or NO!
For example: ‘are you a boy?’ ‘is your name…?’ ‘do you have a brother?’ ‘is your hair brown?’ ‘do you like ice cream?’… Then try questions such as ‘are you a friend of Jesus?’ ‘do you believe in God?’ ‘Can you speak in tongues?’ ‘have you been prayed for?’ ‘have you been filled with Holy Spirit?’…
For younger children: you could have a runaround version: Have one side of the room for YES and the other for NO (there are labels on the template). Ask each other simple questions (like those above) and then run to the corresponding corner of room.
Truth Crosses Crafts:
Bunting: Use the cross templates to make cross bunting or a dangler by cutting them out and decorating with truths about Jesus, patterns or stickers. Then stick a length of string or ribbon along the backs; horizontally for bunting, vertically for a dangler. Make a loop at the end and hang up!
Silhouette: Using a cross template, place on white card/paper and shade out around the edges to create a relief effect. You could write on the cross a key phrase or bible verse to help you know what you believe: Jesus died for me, God is my Father, I can trust in God, My faith is in Jesus, God loves me all the time, I can follow Jesus…
3D crosses: Cut out the two crosses with dotted lines marked on them. Decorate first with patterns and truths about Jesus. Carefully cut along the dotted lines then slide the crosses together.
Another way to make a 3D cross is to cut out four crosses the same shape, fold them all down the middle, then glue one pair together: one half to another half and do the same for the other pair, then stick those together so you have a 3D effect.
Resources: Pdf templates, scissors, pens, stickers, glue, tape, paper and card, string/ribbon
Prayer Ideas: (5-10 mins)
- The next step: Encourage each other in your faith in God. What is the next step for me to know more about Jesus, or to put my faith in action or to follow God? Pray for each other to discover the next step in your faith journey and to go for it with Jesus’ help.
- Trust: The Roman Centurion put his trust in Jesus. Pray about trusting Jesus together. Do you have a trust Prayer Pebble you could use? Where and when do I need to trust Jesus more? Ask for his help, pray for healing, listen to Holy Spirit for each other…
- Prayer pebbles: Continue to think of those around you who need to experience Jesus’ love and peace. Choose a Prayer Pebble to pass around as you chat to Daddy God.
TODAY’S GAME CHANGING MOMENT
I can know what I believe about Jesus and I can do something about it!
Share your cross crafts with us. What truth do you know about Jesus? Are you ready for more discoveries next week?
Or feel free to email us another time via email@example.com.