This session is for children aged 1-4, but do keep it really short and simple for under 2’s.
Make sure you read the full session before you start, and check out these practical tips to get the most out of your time together.
We pray you’ll have a wonderful, fun time with your little ones!
Today is the first session on Jesus the Storyteller!
Today’s aim is to learn that Jesus told stories to help people get to know Daddy God better.
Make it special: Pass round a favourite toy (use a sheep toy if you have one) and encourage whoever is holding it that they are special and loved and more!
WORSHIP (5-6 MINS)
You could use these songs or any of your own favourites!
INTRO (8 MIN)
Here’s Sarah with an introduction and story that Jesus told!
EXPLORE THE STORY TOGETHER (3-4 MINS)
Read it again in ‘Stories Jesus Told’ by Butterworth and Inkpen
Or choose a story bible:
- Candle Bible for Toddlers p269
- The Toddlers Bible p322 (very short)
- Lion First Bible p378 (longer version)
- Luke 15:3-7
UNPACK THE STORY (2 MINS)
- Jesus told stories to help people get to know Daddy God.
- Daddy God is like the farmer in the story. The farmer loved his sheep and went to look for it.
- Daddy God loves each one of us. We are precious to him and wants us to be with him.
SHOUT OUT (2 MINS)
Say this to your child: WHO LOVES ME?
Help your child to answer: DADDY GOD!
Keep saying it with different voices; fast, slow, high, low…
FUN ACTIVITIES (5-10 MINS)
Play lost and found:
- Take it in turns to hide a soft toy and find it, just like the farmer looked for his sheep. Or hide a bible and share that it is like treasure to us as it helps us to know Jesus, Daddy God and Holy Spirit or chat about why it is important to you.
- Or play out the story in more detail with an older child. Use yourselves, soft toys or a farm set. Who can be the farmer? Who can be the sheep? (hide somewhere and bleat loudly!) I wonder how the sheep got lost… I wonder how the farmer felt when his sheep was missing… and when he found it. Shall we pretend to have a party?
I love stories. Draw around your child’s hands on the labelled card from the pdf template or on a plain piece of paper. Cut out some of the bibles from the template and stick them on too. Chat about your favourite books and bible stories.
Lost Sheep. Choose a fun way to decorate the sheep on the template: stick on cotton wool/pads; use an ink pad to make fingerprints on it; stick on pieces of wrapping paper/shiny paper; use any stickers you may have…
Colouring sheets of the story
Resources: pdf template of activities, scissors, colouring pens, tape/glue, card/paper, cotton wool, ink pads, stickers, wrapping paper
PRAYER TIME IDEAS (5 MINS)
SHOUT OUT: WHO LOVES ME? DADDY GOD!
- God’s Big Love: Jesus wants us to know Daddy God’s great big love for us. We are precious to him, like the sheep was precious to the farmer. Pray for your child: you could invite Holy Spirit to come and fill them with God’s BIG love. ‘Let’s get ready with our hands out… We can know God’s love all around us… in our feelings, in our brains, in our bodies!! Ooh can you feel God’s love? It feels like….’ Be expectant that God is with you!
- Say it: I am precious to God. Jesus loves me. Daddy God sees me… what else?
We’d love to hear from you!
Show us your sheep pictures? Where was the best hiding place for your toy? How did Daddy God’s love feel to you?
Send in your good news and photos to firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the form right here!