This session is for children aged 1-4, but do keep it really short and simple for under 2’s.
Make sure you read the full session before you start, and check out these practical tips to get the most out of your time together.
We pray you’ll have a wonderful, fun time with your little ones!
We are taking a short break from our Storyteller Series for the next two Sundays: 2nd & 9th August. We’ll share some summer ideas for you if you need some inspiration!
We’re learning about Jesus the Storyteller!
Today’s aim is to learn that God is precious.
Make it special: Give everyone a big hug or high five and say thank you to God for being with you.
WORSHIP (5-6 MINS)
You could use these songs or any of your own favourites!
INTRO (8 MIN)
Here’s Sarah with an introduction and story that Jesus told!
EXPLORE THE STORY TOGETHER (3-4 MINS)
Read it again in ‘Stories Jesus Told’ by Butterworth and Inkpen
Or from the bible: Matthew 13:45-46
UNPACK THE STORY (2 MINS)
- What did the merchant want so much? A pearl!
- Even though he had lots of wonderful things he really really wanted that precious pearl more than anything else.
- God is like the precious pearl because he is worth more than anything else.
- Chat with your child about how precious God is to you as you play and explore!
SHOUT OUT (2 MINS)
Say this to your child: WHO IS PRECIOUS?
Help your child to shout, whisper or sing the answer: GOD IS!
FUN ACTIVITIES (5-10 MINS)
Play: Play a treasure hunt game with your child. Hide something shiny or special or a favourite snack to share and help them to find it. You could say ‘hotter’, ‘colder’ or other encouragements to help them to find it. Then let them hide something for you to find.
Explore: Collect some precious things for you and your child to explore together: It could be any thing that is special to you as well as things like necklaces, shiny shells and pebbles, favourite toys…Supervise the items for safety!
What can you feel? What can you see? Explore the shapes, textures and sights together – say WOW!
God is even more precious and special than all these things or your favourite things!
Create: Your own treasure box. Find any empty box or use one of the templates on the pdf and decorate with the printed shapes, wrapping paper, stickers or shiny paper. Choose some special things or collect their crafts from this series to keep inside.
Activity sheets of the story
Resources: shiny and ‘precious’ things to explore, empty box, pdf template of activities, scissors, colouring pens, tape/glue, card/paper, wrapping/shiny paper
PRAYER TIME IDEAS (5 MINS)
- SHOUT OUT: WHO IS PRECIOUS? GOD IS!
- Let’s Pray: Encourage your child to put out their hands like receiving a present, invite Holy Spirit to be with you and pray for them to know that Daddy God is SO precious! You could do a big ‘AAAAAAAMEN’ at end with hands together pointing up, moving up into air as you say ‘AAAAAA’ then hands outstretched up as you say ‘MEN’
We’d love to hear from you!
Show us your treasure box. What things are precious to you? How loud can you do the Shout Out?
Send in your good news and photos to email@example.com, or use the form right here!