This session is for children aged 1-4, but do keep it really short and simple for under 2’s.
Make sure you read the full session before you start, and check out these practical tips to get the most out of your time together.
We pray you’ll have a wonderful, fun time with your little ones!
We’re learning about Jesus the Storyteller!
Today’s aim is to learn that Daddy God is so happy with us!
Make it special: You could all hold hands and thank God that he is with you today!
WORSHIP (5-6 MINS)
You could use these songs or any of your own favourites!
If you click on the ‘cc’ button (where available) you can see the subtitles to help with the lyrics – results can vary though!
INTRO (8 MIN)
Here’s Sarah with an introduction and story that Jesus told!
EXPLORE THE STORY TOGETHER (3-4 MINS)
Read it again in ‘Stories Jesus Told’ by Butterworth and Inkpen
Alternatively, find the story in…
- The Candle Bible for Toddlers – p287
- Jesus Calling Bible – p170
- Or from the bible: Luke 15:8-10
UNPACK THE STORY (2 MINS)
- The woman was SO happy to find her missing coin – she wanted everyone of them.
- Daddy God is SO happy with us – he wants all of us to be his friends!
- When someone becomes friends with God there is a party in heaven!
SHOUT OUT (2 MINS)
Say together or repeat after each other: DADDY GOD IS HAPPY WITH ME!
FUN ACTIVITIES (5-10 MINS)
Game ‘hunt the coins’: Cut up the 10 coins from the template and hide for your child to find. Count them all back in to check you have them all. Or play the story with them pretending to be the woman and the cat from the ‘Stories Jesus Told’ version.
I wonder how the woman felt when she lost her special coin…
I wonder how she felt when she found it again…
Did you know God and his angels are so happy when we find Jesus and become his friends? They have a party in heaven!
Craft: Decorate most sides of the large coin with any shiny paper or card you may have, or colour together with bright pens. You could thread string or ribbon through it to hang up and watch it spin.
Or decorate the ten coins from the game and make a simple fold over card envelope to pop them in.
Activity sheets of the story
Pretend to have a party! Jump about, dance to favourite music… Chat about parties and celebrations. When anyone becomes friends with Jesus there is a massive party in heaven with Daddy God, Jesus, Holy Spirit and all the angels! WOW!
Resources: pdf template of activities, scissors, colouring pens, tape/glue, card/paper.
PRAYER TIME IDEAS (5 MINS)
- SHOUT OUT: DADDY GOD IS HAPPY WITH ME!
- Thank you God that we are special to you. Thank you that you are happy with us everyday… Help us to feel and know your love more and more…
- Friends with Jesus: if appropriate you could offer your child the chance to choose to be friends with Jesus. You could explain what Jesus did for them simply, that he always loves them and chooses them as his friend. Would they like to choose him? You could lead them in a simple prayer such as ‘I believe in you Jesus, thank you that you love me and died for me. Come and be with me now… Help me to be your friend’. There’s now a party for you in heaven!! Celebrate with your child and do let us know!!
We’d love to hear from you!
Which is your favourite story so far? Did you find all the coins?
Send in your good news and photos to email@example.com, or use the form right here!