This session is for children aged 1-4, but do keep it really short and simple for under 2’s.
Make sure you read the full session before you start, and check out these practical tips to get the most out of your time together.
We pray you’ll have a wonderful, fun time with your little ones!
We’re learning about Jesus the Storyteller!
Today’s aim is to learn that Jesus is special and we can put him first!
Make it special: You could all crouch down, count to five, then jump up and shout ‘Jesus is the best’ or ‘We love you Daddy God!’ Or another praise phrase!
WORSHIP (5-6 MINS)
You could use these songs or any of your own favourites!
If you click on the ‘cc’ button (where available) you can see the subtitles to help with the lyrics – results can vary though!
INTRO (10 MIN)
Here’s Sarah with an introduction and story that Jesus told!
EXPLORE THE STORY TOGETHER (3-4 MINS)
Read it again in ‘Stories Jesus Told’ by Butterworth and Inkpen
Or from the bible: Mark 10:25
UNPACK THE STORY (2 MINS)
- A camel cannot really go through the eye of a needle – it is far too big!
- Jesus was saying that riches and money can become so important to people that it is hard for them to put Jesus first, even as hard as a camel trying to get through a needle!
- Jesus wants us to know he is very special:
- He is God’s son, he loves us and he died for us so we can be friends with God, he gives us Holy Spirit to help us know him and be like him each day.
- Even nice things and favourite things can get in the way of being Jesus’ friends.
- We can say these things are more special than Jesus.
- But he is far more important. We can learn to put him first.
- Share simply with your child how you put Jesus first and how they can too:
- we can love him and others, we can listen to him, we can believe what he says, we can choose the best, we can talk to him and read our bibles…
SHOUT OUT (2 MINS)
Say together or repeat after each other in different voices: I CAN PUT JESUS FIRST!
FUN ACTIVITIES (5-10 MINS)
Explore: Pretend to be camels balancing cushions on your backs. Can you get across the room without it falling off?
Play: with your favourite things and talk about why they are important to you. Chat as you play about how important Jesus is too!
Make your own camel crafts!
Eye through the needle craft: cut out the camel and the 2 tabs and decorate. Then stick the camel onto the middle of one of the tabs (tab should be horizontal). The other tab is the needle, make a slit along the middle of it. Slide the camel back and forth though the ‘needle’.
Cushions galore craft: Cut out the camel and cushions and decorate. Stick as many cushion as you can onto the camel!
Or play a ‘pin the tail on the donkey’ version, by closing eyes/being blindfolded and trying to stick a cushion onto the back of the camel!
Activity sheets of the story
Resources: pdf template of activities, scissors, colouring pens, tape/glue, card/paper.
PRAYER TIME IDEAS (5 MINS)
- SHOUT OUT: I CAN PUT JESUS FIRST!
- Snuggle up and pray with your child: ‘Help us to stay close to you Jesus. Help us to put you first in our lives. We want you to be the most special and important thing to us’.
We’d love to hear from you!
Show us your camels! What are your special things? Which is your favourite worship song?
Send in your good news and photos to email@example.com, or use the form right here!