This session is for children aged 1-4, but do keep it really short and simple for under 2’s.
Make sure you read the full session before you start, and check out these practical tips to get the most out of your time together.
We pray you’ll have a wonderful, fun time with your little ones!
Today is our first session on HEROES!!
Today’s aim is to learn that Heroes stay close to God and listen to him.
Make it special: Pass round a favourite toy and say something you are thankful for!
WORSHIP (6 MINS)
You could use these songs or any of your own favourites.
INTRO (10 MIN)
Sarah: Heroes and Joseph
EXPLORE THE STORY TOGETHER (4 MINS)
Watch: God’s story – Joseph
Or choose a story bible:
Candle Bible for Toddlers p74
The Toddlers Bible p64-75
Lion First Bible p74-91 (longer version)
QUICK UNPACK (2 MINS)
- The heroes in the bible were ordinary men and women, boys and girls, who did great things with God’s love and power.
- Today’s hero is Joseph! Even though some tough things happened to Joseph, he listened to God and stayed close to him.
- God helped Joseph to understand dreams, even the king’s dream!
- This meant he could help lots and lots of people, including his mean big brothers, when all their food ran out.
- Joseph was able to love them and forgive them! WOW!
- We can be heroes too and stay close to God.
SHOUT OUT (2 MINS)
Say this to your child: WHO IS A HERO TO GOD?
Help your child to answer: I AM!
Keep saying it with different voices; fast, slow, high, low…
FUN ACTIVITIES (5-10 MINS)
Play: Follow the leader games. One person is the leader and the others have to copy them – clap, jump, spin around, touch toes, be a superhero… Take it in turns to be the leader.
Create: Use stickers, brightly coloured pens or pieces of paper to decorate Joseph’s coat from the template. Use any of the pieces from the template to create your own hero figure, with cape and badge.
Mazes of the story
PRAYER TIME (2 MINS)
- SHOUT OUT: WHO IS A HERO TO GOD? I AM!
- I can stay close to God: Hold hands or hug your child and pray for them to always stay close to God: to know his love everyday and every night, to remember he is always with them, to feel his loving kindness…
- Speak it out: You could help your child to say some simple truth phrases and bring them into your everyday life, maybe at bedtime or first thing in the morning: ‘Daddy God is always with me’, ‘I can stay close to Jesus’, ‘Holy Spirit is here with me now’ or make up your own!
We’d love to hear from you!
Show us your colourful Joseph coats or your best hero pose!
Send in your good news and photos to firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the form right here!