This session is for children aged 1-4, but do keep it really short and simple for under 2’s.
Make sure you read the full session before you start, and check out these practical tips to get the most out of your time together.
We pray you’ll have a wonderful, fun time with your little ones!
Today is the next story in our ‘God Shows Me The Way!’ theme.
We will learn to listen with Kitten!
Make it special: Crouch down as small as you can, someone says ‘Ready steady praise Jesus!’ and all jump up together. Take it in turns to say it!
PECKY’S WORLD: (6.5 MINS)
Today we have a visit from Pecky, playing a fun game!
WORSHIP: (6 MINS)
You could use these songs or any of your own favourites:
INTRO (10 MIN)
EXPLORE A BIBLE STORY ABOUT LISTENING TOGETHER (1.5 MINS)
Watch: God speaks to Samuel
Or read about it in a story bible:
Candle Bible for Toddlers p144
Jesus Calling Bible p94
Lion First Bible p172
QUICK UNPACK (2 MINS)
- Kitten learnt to listen to her fiends so she didn’t miss out on all the fun things happening around her.
- Samuel learnt to listen to Daddy God’s voice and he heard amazing things!
- We can learn to listen to our family and our friends and especially to Daddy God!
Say this together: WHO CAN LISTEN? I CAN!
Keep saying it with different voices; robot, whisper, shout, squeaky…
FUN ACTIVITIES (5-10 MINS)
Play: Listening Games!
- Hide anything that makes a sound like keys, toy shakers, bells… in a bag and play at taking it in turns to shake one and guess what it is.
- Copy a simple clapping pattern or rhythm with a child’s drum/shaker. Take it in turns to do the rhythm.
- Use three clues to describe something in the room for each other to listen carefully to and guess what it is.
Create: A ‘I can listen to God’ trumpet/megaphone.
Use a piece of A4 card, decorate with stickers, patterns, crafts items and write on ‘I can listen to God’. Then roll into a cone shape and hold in place with tape.
Announce important messages though your trumpet like ‘You are special’ ‘I love you’ ‘You are great at listening’ ‘God is speaking to you’…
Or make your own prayer telephones: follow the instructions on the template. Use at prayer time to pray for others or when asking God to speak to you or show you things.
Resources: pdf template of activities, scissors, colouring pens, tape/glue, card/paper, paper cups, string.
PRAYER TIME (2 MINS)
- SHOUT OUT: WHO CAN LISTEN TO GOD/JESUS/HOLY SPIRIT? I CAN!
- We can listen to God! Play a listening to God game with your child. Say that God can speak to us in our heads, our feelings, our bodies, he can show us pictures, colours, messages and more. Say: ‘Daddy God show us your great big love for me, help me to see it, feel it and hear it’ and wait… Join in too and share what you sensed. Depending on their age encourage your child to tell or show you what they saw, heard or sensed. Keep it simple and validate all responses.
Keep practising and don’t worry if they don’t share anything. We are developing a building block of faith that ‘God loves to speak to us and we can listen to him’ that will grow stronger over time.
We’d love to hear from you!
Show us your megaphones or telephones. Which is your favourite animal from the story book? Are you good at listening?
Send in your good news and photos to email@example.com, or use the form right here!