This session is for children aged 1-4, but do keep it really short and simple for under 2’s.
Make sure you read the full session before you start, and check out these practical tips to get the most out of your time together.
We pray you’ll have a wonderful, fun time with your little ones!
Today we are continuing with our theme – Good News about God and me!
Let’s find out the GOOD NEWS that I am found by God!
Make it special: show your love for each other by giving out big hugs or high fives!
Pecky makes a visit to the new building!
WORSHIP: (6 MINS) Let’s celebrate Jesus!
You could use these songs or any of your own favourites:
INTRO (12 MIN)
EXPLORE MORE: (3 MINS)
Watch: Psalm 23 for kids (2 mins)
Jesus Calling Bible p104
Lion First Bible p188-191
From the bible: Psalm 23
QUICK UNPACK (2 MINS)
In Psalm 23 God is like a shepherd who cares for his sheep all the time.
He guides, he rescues, he protects, he feeds, he loves…
God finds us and cares for us too! He wants us to know he is always with us, loving us and helping us!
Say this together: WHO FINDS ME? GOD DOES!
Keep saying it with different voices; fast, slow, high, low…
Or make up some actions to go with it!
FUN ACTIVITIES (5-10 MINS)
Play hide and seek or peek a boo! Hide a soft toy (or a sheep toy if you have one!) for your child to find, or have fun taking it in turns to hide yourselves around your home. Say the SHOUT OUT each time someone is found!
Act out the Psalm: Choose simple actions for different parts
The Lord is my shepherd; (pretend to hold staff in hand)
I have everything I need. (thumbs up)
2 He lets me rest in green pastures. (lie down)
He leads me to calm water. (waves actions with hands, say splish splash)
3 He gives me new strength. (flex muscles)
He leads me on paths that are right
for the good of his name. (walk across the room)
4 Even if I walk through a very dark valley, (cover eyes)
I will not be afraid, (shake head)
because you are with me. (hug self or someone else)
Your rod and your shepherd’s staff comfort me. (pretend to hold staff in hand)
5 You prepare a meal for me (mime eating)
in front of my enemies.
You pour oil of blessing on my head; (mime pouring)
you fill my cup to overflowing. (pretend to drink)
6 Surely your goodness and love will be with me
all my life, (thumbs up or heart shape)
and I will live in the house of the Lord forever. (roll hands like ‘wind the bobbin’)
- A shepherds staff craft: Use the template to colour in and cut out the shapes. Stick them onto the shepherds staff to help remember the Psalm.
- Sheep craft: Decorate the sheep and Psalm sheet with cotton wool, shiny paper, swirly patterns, stickers… Stick it up at home to remind you of the Psalm and regularly pray it over your child and yourself!
Activity sheets on Psalm 23
Resources: pdf template of activities, scissors, colouring pens, cotton wool, glue, tape, card/paper
PRAYER TIME (2 MINS)
- SHOUT OUT: WHO FINDS ME? GOD DOES!
- Jesus finds me Adventure Time!
- Have a very simple Adventure Time with your child where you imagine hiding in a special place and Jesus comes and finds you. What happens when he sees you? How do you feel?
- You can make this immersive by hiding under a blanket or the bedcovers or behind a door…
- With an older child you could imagine being the sheep in the Psalm. Keep it fun and light. Share what happened when Jesus found you and ask your child what they saw, hear or felt. Keep practicing being with Jesus!
- Watch and have a go at this Psalm 23 prayer (1.5 mins)
We’d love to hear from you!
Show us your shepherds staff or colouring. What happened when Jesus found you in your Adventure Time? What’s your favourite story so far?
Send in your good news and photos to email@example.com, or use the form right here!