This session is for children aged 1-4, but do keep it really short and simple for under 2’s.
Make sure you read the full session before you start, and check out these practical tips to get the most out of your time together.
We pray you’ll have a wonderful, fun time with your little ones!
Over the next few weeks, we are going to be looking at what Jesus did for us, in that very first Easter.
Make it special: Crouch down, count to three, then jump up to praise Jesus!
WORSHIP: (5 MINS) Let’s celebrate that God is with us!
You could use these songs or any of your own favourites:
INTRO (12 MIN)
Watch: Jesus Dies on a Cross. Toddler’s Bible version (2 mins)
Candle Bible ‘A very sad day’ p348
Lion First Bible: ‘The saddest Day’ p436 (longer version)
The Toddler’s Bible ‘Jesus Dies on the Cross’ p367
QUICK UNPACK (2 MINS)
Do we ever do things that are wrong, that are mad, bad or sad? Yes, we all do, don’t we?
At Easter we learn that Jesus died for all the mad, bad and sad stuff that gets in the way! Hurray!
He came back to life and wants to be our best friend.
We can choose to be his friend too.
Say this together: WHO DIED FOR US? JESUS!
Keep saying it with different voices; fast, slow, high, low… Or make up some actions to go with it!
FUN ACTIVITIES (5-10 MINS)
You could act this out yourselves or use soft toys or any small world people you may have to help:
- You will need ‘God’ ‘Jesus’ ‘child’
- Have ‘God’ on one side of the room/table/rug/where you are and a ‘child’ on the other.
- Say ‘we were far away from God because of all the wrong things in us and the world, all the mad, sad and bad things. BUT Jesus chose to die for us so we can be friends with God’
- Have ‘Jesus’ stand in the middle and bring ‘God’ close to one side of him to hold his hand.
- Say ‘We can choose to be friends with God too by saying Yes to him’
- Have ‘child’ come on other side of ‘Jesus’ to hold his hand or hug.
You could offer your child the chance to choose Jesus to be their forever friend: by saying sorry for all the mad, sad and bad things and YES to his love! Spend time praying for them and celebrate!!
- Concertina people: Use the template, or draw your own person at one end of a piece of paper. Fold up into a concertina, then cut it out so the hands and feet are on the fold, so when you open it out they are connected! You could draw on Jesus, yourself and other friends/family members. Decorate with any goggly eyes/stickers you may have or simply colour in and chat about being friends with Jesus!
- A cross: stick two strips of card together or use the template provided. Decorate the cross with all the good things God gives us such as joy, love, peace, smiley faces, hearts… as well as your favourite colours!
Resources: pdf template of activities, scissors, colouring pens, stickers, glue, card/paper
PRAYER TIME (2 MINS)
- SHOUT OUT: WHO DIED FOR US? JESUS!
- Jesus’ love: you could pass a cushion or favourite soft toy back and forth saying ‘Jesus’ love for us is like a great big hug!’ As you squeeze it.
- Be thankful: Say simple prayers together ‘Thank you Jesus for dying for me’, ‘I love you Jesus’, ‘Thank you that you are alive’…
We’d love to hear from you!
Show us your concertina people or your cross. Did you say YES to Jesus today?
NEXT WEEK WE WILL FIND OUT ABOUT THE VERY FIRST PALM SUNDAY!
Send in your good news and photos to email@example.com, or use the form right here!