This session is for children aged 1-4, but do keep it really short and simple for under 2’s.
Make sure you read the full session before you start, and check out these practical tips to get the most out of your time together.
We pray you’ll have a wonderful, fun time with your little ones!
Today is the first session in our Followers of Jesus theme, discovering that we can shine like stars for Jesus!
Make it special: Sing ‘Twinkle Twinkle Little Star’ together! We are going to think about stars today!
WORSHIP: (5 MINS) Let’s celebrate that Jesus is our friend!
You could use these songs or any of your own favourites:
INTRO (8 MINS)
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT SHINING FOR JESUS!:
Watch: Let Your Light Shine (2.5 mins)
You could show your child where these verses are in the bible: Matthew 5:14-16, Philippians 2:14-15
QUICK UNPACK (2 MINS)
Jesus is good and kind and he wants us to follow him.
It’s the best way to live. It helps us to be happy and free.
Have you seen the stars shining at night time? They are bright lights in the dark. Jesus says when we follow him we shine like the stars. It helps others to know him.
WHO CAN SHINE FOR JESUS? I CAN!
Keep using the shout out with different voices, fast, slow, high, low, robot, squeaky… or make up some actions.
FUN ACTIVITIES (5-15 MINS)
- Follow the Leader games! Choose someone to be the leader. They can do different actions like jumping, hopping, clapping… that everyone else can follow.
- Light and Dark: snuggle under blankets and then turn on a torch or a LED candle. What happens? The light shines and you can see! Jesus said we are like bright lights for him – we can help others see him.
- Star glitter bottle! Use an empty plastic bottle, add water, star sequins, glitter glue or cut out shapes from shiny foil/wrappers and add in (or simply screw up bits of foil to pop in). Stick on the lid and shake up and down. Look for the shiny shapes and chat about shining for Jesus!
- Star craft: Cut out the stars from the template. Decorate, write/draw your names on them. Either stick onto paper or attach string along the backs so they hang vertically or horizontally like bunting. Chat about how stars shine and that we can shine for Jesus.
- Chat: wonder with your child: as you create or colour in: I wonder how we can shine for Jesus. I wonder how we can help, love, be kind, share… I wonder how bright we shine for God…I wonder how happy Jesus is when he sees you…
Resources: pdf template of activities, pens, paper/card, scissors, string, glue, bottle, glitter, foil.
PRAYER TIME (2 MINS)
- SHOUT OUT: WHO CAN SHINE FOR JESUS? I CAN!
- Shine for Jesus: Pray for your family to follow Jesus. Ask Jesus to fill you with Holy Spirit and to help you shine for him everyday, by loving, helping, praying, smiling, praising, thanking…
We’d love to hear from you!
Show us your stars. Did you make a glitter bottle? How can you follow Jesus today?
Send in your good news and photos to firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the form right here!